WHAT IS FENG SHUI?
Dating back as far as 5000 BC, Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese philosophy that helps people find more balance and positivity in the way they live their lives. The word ‘feng’ is Chinese for wind, and the word ‘shui’ is Chinese for water. Together, these symbolise the flow of life. By organising furniture, as well as colour, fabrics, and ornaments in certain ways, experts believe we can create a more harmonious atmosphere in our homes. The key is in the qi (pronounced “chi”), which practitioners say is a universal life force or energy that connects all living things. Through the implementation of specific design principles that promote auspiciousness, feng shui is said to allow your energy to flow uninhibited through your home, improving your overall quality of life.
HOW DOES FENG SHUI AFFECT SLEEP?
Experts believe that when a bedroom has good feng shui, the nervous system can relax and we enter a place of safety - helpful in promoting a better night’s rest. Your sleep hygiene and sleeping environment plays a significant role in the quality of Zzz’s you get at night. We’ve put together this handy guide on how to feng shui your bedroom to improve sleep.
18 FENG SHUI TIPS FOR YOUR BEDROOM TO SUPPORT BETTER SLEEP AND RELAXATION
Learn how to Feng Shui your bedroom with these simple suggestions:
- Let the air and energy flow - a healthy sleep environment needs air movement
- Choose earthy and natural tones in your decoration and bedding - providing support and relaxation
- Get ahead with a headboard - it represents added stability and support in your life, especially in relationships
- Pair your ornaments and bedside tables - single figures can reinforce a sense of isolation
- Minimise the amount of sharp corners in your sleep space
- Declutter underneath your bed - this can represent subconscious blocks in your life
- Invest in better bedding
- Plants and essential oils - these invite restorative energy and growth in all areas of your life
- Eject as many electronics as you can - a bedroom should be a place of rest, relaxation and romance - and nothing else
- Simple symmetry touches without over sterilising - matching lamps or candles for example
FENG SHUI BED PLACEMENT
The placement of your bed is vital to creating a bedroom with 'good' energy - being the largest piece of furniture in the room it will have a big impact on how the space functions, looks and feels. Give your bed the commanding role - move your bed in a central position where you can see the door while laying in bed. Practitioners believe this helps you see opportunities coming to you (so it’s worth spending the time thinking about your feng shui placement!).
WHAT TO AVOID - THE DONT'S OF BEDROOM FENG SHUI
- Abstract, spiky or intense ornaments or art - your brain can subconsciously hook onto these
- Don’t drain energy with dark wall choices. Too many deep colours can make a bedroom lifeless and make you sluggish when you wake
- Brilliant white walls - this can be too activating and mentally stimulating and not conducive to rest
- Gym equipment and workout gear is classed as "yang" - meaning it is a source of active energy
- Hanging a mirror facing a bedroom window. Practitioner’s believe that the mirror's reflective quality can draw negative energy from outside and trap it within your house
- Having your bed directly in line with the door
- Sleeping under a window can enhance feelings of vulnerability
- Mirrors directly across from the bed act as energy bouncers
Getting a great night’s sleep starts with the bedroom. It might sound strange, but your bedroom should be far more than just a room with a bed - it’s an oasis of calm where you feel happy, relaxed, and hopefully, ready to settle down for the night.
Your bed is one of the most important pieces of furniture in your home in respect to your feng shui. When you’re sleeping, you’re classified as being in a passive yin state - and therefore more receptive to the vibrations around you. The bed is also the most private place in your home. It absorbs your qi and represents you.
We think we can help with that. Simba mattresses have already helped over 1 million Canadian sleepers get their best night’s sleep ever. From our unique Aerocoil® springs to our cooling, open cell foam, our ground-breaking mattress technology is engineered to keep you perfectly cool and cushioned, all night long.